Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 49

We are psyched about the walk this weekend.  Colleagues at Mahopac Middle School purchased team shirts and wore them today to support Autism Awareness.  Phil and I are blessed to have so many people in our lives that have embraced our cause, and more importantly, have embraced Ryan.  While Ryan may not realize it now, he is not only being raised by his parents, but also by all of the people who are there for us.  There is a saying "It takes a village to raise a child".  It goes without saying that Ryan's village includes our family and friends, his teachers and support staff, and his doctors.  But it goes beyond that list.  It includes the colleagues we work with who have been supportive and lend us their ear and a shoulder to lean on at work.  It includes the people that have provided us emotional and financial support.  And I can't forget those that check in with us daily to see how we are doing, provide us with information and encouragement, and motivate us to write this blog each night.

For many years I questioned my purpose in life.  I often lie awake in bed crying because there are so many issues in the world that I can't change.  There are millions of people (and animals) suffering from disease, hunger, and abuse.  I want so badly to make a difference, but have never felt empowered to do so.  Until now.  For the first time I am recognizing my purpose and realizing what I need to do.  And it is the support from this "village" that gives me the strength.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment