Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 12




Withdrawal?

Ryan's skin was terrible today. His cheeks were a purplish red color all day. After his bath his lips looked a little blue and his legs were red and blotchy and he couldn't stop scratching. We took pictures to share with Dr. Bock. We're going to stop using his current shampoo and see if that helps. It's frustrating not having a doctor to monitor all of the changes we are making. I don't know how I could possibly handle waiting until November for our first appointment with him.

Ryan's teacher said he was cranky, moody, and clingy today. I think I may know part of what he is going through. Even though I haven't switched over the a GF diet like Ryan, I have eaten several GF items over the past few days. Yesterday and today I've experienced stomach pains, and after dinner tonight (which was gluten-free pancakes and agave nectar) I had the shakes and felt very queezy and nervous. I was explaining all of this to Phil and he said it sounded like the symptoms of withdrawal.

I am pleased that Ryan ate the pancakes, but he caught on to us putting the cod liver oil into his juice and didn't drink it. As per the advice of a friend we are going to switch him off of orange juice and introduce pear juice in case his body is reacting to foods with high amounts of phenols. This means we have to avoid apples, oranges, and bananas to name a few foods.

For me, the most difficult part in all of this is not knowing (not knowing what is going to happen and not knowing how Ryan feels). For those of you that know me well, I am all about results. I like to see the end product or at least know what I'm getting. When I start a new book I almost always skip to the end to read the last page or two. I'm very logical and it's difficult for me to make sense out of things that are erratic, out of order, and unexplainable. I hate not knowing exactly what he is going through. He is not good at explaining things to us and I worry that we're doing something wrong or making things worse for him.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment