Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week 12

Ryan had a busy week between his visit to Dr. Bock, starting up at school again, and his Occupational Therapy sessions.  Ryan's first day back to school was Tuesday, which was also the day of his Dr. Bock appointment.  There was so much to report about the day that I made a separate blog post.  We received a lot of support regarding Tuesday's post and appreciate the emails and calls.  It helps to know that there are people out there who care and are rooting for Ryan. 

I was able to meet Ryan's Occupational Therapist this week.  She treated him at our home this week, and she was able to show me some things that I can do to work with Ryan on some of the Sensory Processing issues he has.  During the first session Ryan was very upset that she was there.  He was kicking and screaming and when I tried to calm him down he bit my arm.  We ignored him for a few minutes and the therapist and I played with some of the equipment she brought and within five minutes he joined in.

A friend of mine had suggested pear sauce as a means to mix some of Ryan's supplements.  We tried it a month ago and Ryan wanted nothing to do with it.  But then over the past week he was able to tolerate the texture of applesauce.  Now that he should be avoiding apples because they are high in phenols, I thought I would try the pear sauce again.  The first time I let him have it without any meds in it.  He liked it and wanted more.  I mixed in two of his doses of supplements and Ryan ate the few spoonfuls I gave him.  But then the next day I tried it again and he must have tasted the supplements I put in (not sure which one has a taste to it) and was wary.  He would only eat it straight from the jar.  I will continue to try this new food and somehow hide some of the supplements in it a little bit at a time. 

We've also been keeping an eye out for eggs in ingredients and have been okay so far.  He has not gone "egg free" so we haven't been able to do an elimination trial yet. 

Over the weekend we drove down to Virginia for our niece's baptism.  Ryan spent over 7 hours on Saturday (mostly in the car) refusing to go to the bathroom.  He waited until we got to the hotel.  Half way through Phil tried bringing him into a bathroom and he had a meltdown.  Then on Sunday both kids were awful in church.  They couldn't sit still, and Phil ended up missing the part where our niece was baptized because both kids had to go to the bathroom.  Phil and I were the Godparents and were up on the alter for part of the ceremony and the kids kept shouting out to us and running back and forth from the pew to the alter.  It was so humiliating.  From the alter we could see the faces of the guests there for the other children getting baptized and they were constantly looking over staring at our children.  We regretted our decision to bring the kids with us. 

Some things I've learned this weekend:
1.  Ryan acted no different in the hotel on this trip than he did the last time we visited Virginia back in April, just before we started this diet. 
2.  I feel like Ryan is regressing back to pre-GFCF diet, and it is a very scary feeling.
3.  I've been reviewing Dr. Bock's book for answers, and I wish I had re-read certain sections before our visit to him last week.  It would have helped me better understand the information he was giving us.
4. Phil and I are losing our patience and the motivation we had in the beginning of this process has faded.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment