Sunday, October 21, 2012

Week 131- RIP Ty

Ty Louis Campbell, five years old, lost his fight to cancer this week, on 10/17/12.  I've been following his story and reading his mom's blog for about two years now.  On the day of his death, there had been a prayer chain set up for 7 pm.  Ty had passed away earlier that afternoon and I spent most of the afternoon reading the comments that flooded the blog and his Facebook page.  At 7 pm we paused at the dinner table to say a prayer for Ty.  The four of us held hands and Ryan stopped and said, "What about Jackie?"  So we added Jack's little hands to our circle and prayed for Ty and his family.  And that evening before bed Ryan looked out the window and said goodnight to Ty.

I've spoken to my children about Ty but didn't start showing them the pictures posted on his mom's blog until last week.  Julia had a lot of questions for me and each morning sat by me while I read the blog, handing me tissues for my tears.  Ryan was just as curious but it bothered him to see and hear about a little boy so sick.  I questioned myself as to whether I should share his story with them, especially Ryan who is so sensitive and has already had trouble going to sleep because he is afraid of dying, but I thought it was important to be honest with them.  I don't want them to take for granted all of the things they are blessed with, including their health.  The next time they complain that this is "the worst day ever" because they didn't get a toy they wanted or an extra treat or get their way, I hope a gentle reminder of Ty will help them appreciate what they have.  I know this is a tall order for a 5 and 6 year old, but now is as good of a time as any to teach them about appreciation and compassion, and instill in them a love for life.  It has been a lesson learned for me too!  From heaven, Ty's legacy will live on and he will do great things!

When I told the kids that Ty died and went to Heaven, they wanted to make him a card.  The next morning before school they did so, and after school we drove it to his house and placed it in his mailbox.
Click here to see the video: Ryan and Julia made Ty a card to send their love to him.





I can't imagine what Ty's family, especially his mother, is going through right now.  There is nothing like a mother's love for her children.  I feel the best thing we can do for them is let them feel our love, always.  Ty's card was not the only artwork produced by Ryan this week.  In the midst of all of the tears I shed for Ty, I had a few more left for Ryan, my beautiful, intuitive, sensitive, sweet boy.
Ryan: I made you a picture, mom.  That's you and me.  Me: What are we doing?  Ryan: That's you loving me.

If you haven't read the Super Ty blog yet, I've included a link to the entry where Ty's mom shared his final moments... http://www.superty.org/2012/10/our-baby-is-finally-free-rest-in-peace.html

May God bless Ty and his family today and always!

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment