Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One year ago today...

Here is the entry from my diary, written on March 16, 2010:

The statistics say that every 20 minutes, a child is diagnosed with Autism.  At 3 pm today it was our turn.  Ryan was diagnosed with high-functioning Autism.  While this is one of the better diagnoses on the spectrum, it was not an easy thing to hear.  His life as he knows it, and as we know it, will never be the same. 


Phil and I noticed there was something different about Ryan, something special and unique, and we knew it needed to be looked at.  But I thought maybe I would be told I was wrong, and it was just a phase. 


I feel numb thinking about this and what the days ahead will bring.  As his mother I just want him to be happy.  I want the best for him.  I don't want him to miss out on anything, and hope he lives his life filled with laughter and love.

A year ago we felt weak and defeated but we've learned that you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.  Phil and I will never stop fighting this fight.

DC

No comments:

Post a Comment